Monday, July 13, 2009

Baking bread

Lately I've been trying my hand at baking homemade bread. Its not really that much of a money saver because frequently bread has been on sale BOGO lately. However, I enjoy the earthy experience of homemade bread...the taste and the delicious smell in the house. I enjoy my kids eating something that I mave made from scratch. They love the part where I punch down the dough.
Sometimes I wonder about store bought bread and what kind of preservatives are added to make it last so long.
I have tried using a breadmaker that I got for $8 from a yard sale but so far it seems to come out better by hand. The breadmaker didn't seem to mix it as well. I've also tried white vs whole wheat and the whole wheat was so much tastier.
Its also nice to be able to grab ingrediants that are now staples in my pantry and whip up a loaf of bread. It seems like I was always having to run to the store for a loaf of bread and then it would turn into a $30 shopping trip. From that perspective, maybe I'll save money in the long run.

3 comments:

a mom of many said...

I'm jealous! Haven't had the courage to try my hand at bread making yet....I'm a chicken, you can say it. ;)

Golden Apple Writer said...

I've never tried baking bread, but I'm inspired now. And I've looked at the ingredients in store breads and they are loaded with unnatural preservatives.

kindred mom said...

Its not at hard as it seems, plus you get some frustration out when you punch the dough. Supposedly the kneading is good for arthritis too, LOL.